VOLUNTEER CHAPLAIN/HOSPITALITY ASSOCIATE – PORT NEWARK, NJ
The Seamen’s Church Institute (SCI) is North America’s largest mariners’ service agency with an annual operating budget in excess of $6 million. Founded in 1834, SCI provides pastoral care services, maritime education and training, and mariner advocacy for the workers who transport billions of tons of cargo each year across the world’s oceans and along our nation’s inland waterways.
International Seafarers’ Center (ISC) Chaplain Associates provide direct pastoral care to international seafarers and port workers in Port Newark and Port Elizabeth NJ, work collaboratively with other SCI port chaplains; and report to the ISC Director. Ship visiting hours are typically Monday-Friday from 9:00 am to noon. Chaplain Associates provide services on scheduled days, from once a month to one or more days each week.
Duties and Responsibilities
- • Visit docked commercial ships in Port Newark and Port Elizabeth to provide pastoral care to seafarers, offering practical, emotional and social support and assistance where appropriate
- • Deliver Christmas at Sea knit gift packages or Shop at Sea items during ship visits
- • Provide hospitality and transportation services from the ISC when needed.
- • Conform with all safety and security protocols required by the US Coast Guard, shipping company policies, and SCI
- • Ordination in the Episcopal Church or other mainline denomination is desired but not required. Clinical Pastoral Education, military, maritime, or hospital chaplaincy is helpful, as is work experience in the maritime industry
- • Valid, clean driver’s license
- • Possession of a US Transportation Worker Identity Credential (TWIC) card, or the ability to obtain one
- • The ability to embark or disembark ships docked at port in varied weather conditions and lift and carry packages up to 30lbs
SCI Chaplains are required to abide by the International Christian Maritime Association (ICMA) Code of Conduct:
- • Show an unconditional love to the mariner as a human being, created in the image of God, and a sincere respect for his or her personal values and beliefs
- • Fight prejudice, intolerance, and injustice of any kind
- • Respect the loyalty of those engaged in maritime ministry to their particular ecclesiastical discipline and tradition and refrain from proselytizing mariners
- • Co-operate with persons, organizations, and institutions, Christian or non-Christian, which work for the welfare of mariners
The ISC, located at 118 Export Street, Port Newark, NJ 07114, is most easily accessible by car. Chaplain Associates are reimbursed for mileage and toll expenses related to travel by personal car to the ISC.
Interested candidates should contact ISC Director Timothy Wong.