Transition Ministry Update as of August 2, 2019
The congregations are listed alphabetically by place, with the name of the church preceding the town, city, or village.
An asterisk (*) indicates a change in status since the last report.
Church websites are independently managed and maintained.
For questions or comments on those websites, please contact the church directly.
For clergy looking to apply for open positions under the “Receiving Names” categories, please respond to this questionnaire and contact: The Reverend Canon Brian Jemmott at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (609) 394-5281 ext. 21.
Congregations wishing to request a background check of a candidate should use this form.
Please contact Canon Jemmott with questions about the below listings or for assistance.
Searching for a rector?
- Detailed, step-by-step process for calling a new rector
- Printable tri-fold brochure about the transition process
- Transition consultants in the search for new clergy
- Format for letter for informing bishop of proposal to elect new clergy
- Format for letter requesting bishop’s appointment of a priest-in-charge
- Trinity Church, Swedesboro The Reverend Gregory M. Wilson, called as Priest-in-Charge, effective May 12, 2019.
- *St. John’s-On-the-Mountain, Bernardsville The Reverend David L. Jones called as Priest-in-Charge, effective July 1, 2019.
- St. George’s-By-the-River Church, Rumson The Reverend Kije Mugisha Rwamasirabo called as Curate, effective July 1, 2019.
- Church of St. John the Evangelist, Chews Landing The Reverend Canon Richard C. Wrede called as Priest-in-Charge, effective August 1, 2019.
- *St. Peter’s Church, Medford The Reverend Canon Valerie Balling called as Priest-in-Charge, effective August 1, 2019.
- *Holy Innocents’ Church, Beach Haven The Rev. Dr. Caroline Carson, Deacon called to be Rector, upon her ordination to the Priesthood, on June 27, 2019.
- St. David’s, Cranbury The Reverend Don Caron called as Interim Priest, effective August 1, 2019.
No Longer Receiving Names for Rector:
- * St. Andrew’s Church, Mount Holly Call of Rector, pending Letter of Agreement.
Receiving Names for Rector:
*Grace Church, Merchantville Discernment Committee reviewing candidate materials.
*St. Mary’s Church, Stone Harbor Online materials posted on August 1, with an application deadline of September 7, 2019.
Receiving Names for Priest-in Charge:
- Trinity Church, Matawan and Christ Church, South Amboy Church affiliation in process. Online materials posted, August 1, with an application deadline of September 8, 2019.
Receiving Names for Interim:
- St. Martin in the Fields, Bridgewater Will be seeking a full time Interim. Application deadline, August 24, 2019.
Not Yet Receiving Names for Rector/Priest-in-Charge:
Christ Church, Toms River Town Hall held on September 26. Discernment Committee formed. Orientation of Vestry and Discernment Committee completed on March 10. Congregational Conversation conducted March 31. Preparing online materials for posting.
Not Yet Receiving Names for Priest-in-Charge:
- *St. Stephen’s Church, Beverly and St. Stephen’s Church, Riverside Will be seeking a Priest-in-Charge. Town Hall meeting scheduled conducted on March 17. Readiness Assessment conducted April 12.
- St. James’ Church, Bradley Beach and St. Michael the Archangel, Wall Congregations using supply clergy. Affiliation in process. Orientation of Discernment Committee and Vestries, conducted on March 14. Congregational Workshop conducted on April 7. Online resources for posting being prepared.
- Church of the Holy Spirit, Tuckerton Call of Part-time Interim, pending Letter of Agreement.
Future Course in Ministry Under Discernment with Bishop’s Office:
- St. Martin in the Fields, Lumberton Congregation using supply clergy. Wardens and Vestry in consultation with the Bishop’s Office.
- Church of the Good Shepherd, Berlin Congregation using supply clergy. Wardens and Vestry in consultation with Bishop’s office.
- St. Mary’s Church, Clementon Wardens and Vestry in consultation with Bishop’s office.
- Holy Family Church, Laurel Springs (website under construction): Effective January 21, 2018, Merger of Church of the Atonement, Laurel Springs and St. John’s in the Wilderness, Gibbsboro.
- St. James’ Church, Paulsboro Congregation using supply clergy.
- *Grace Church, Pemberton Wardens and Vestry in consultation with Bishop’s Office.
- *Church of the Good Shepherd, Rahway Wardens and Vestry in consultation with Bishop’s Office.
- Trinity Church, Vincentown The Rev. Robert Legnani serving as extended supply