Transition Ministry Update as of June 4, 2019
The congregations are listed alphabetically by place, with the name of the church preceding the town, city, or village.
An asterisk (*) indicates a change in status since the last report.
Church websites are independently managed and maintained.
For questions or comments on those websites, please contact the church directly.
For clergy looking to apply for open positions under the “Receiving Names” categories, please respond to this questionnaire and contact: The Reverend Canon Brian Jemmott at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (609) 394-5281 ext. 21.
Congregations wishing to request a background check of a candidate should use this form.
Please contact Canon Jemmott with questions about the below listings or for assistance.
Searching for a rector?
- Detailed, step-by-step process for calling a new rector
- Printable tri-fold brochure about the transition process
- Transition consultants in the search for new clergy
- Format for letter for informing bishop of proposal to elect new clergy
- Format for letter requesting bishop’s appointment of a priest-in-charge
- Trinity Church, Swedesboro The Reverend Gregory M. Wilson, called as Priest-in-Charge, effective May 12, 2019.
- St. Paul’s Church, Camden The Reverend Zachary Mark Smith called as Priest-in-Charge, effective May 29, 2019.
- St. George’s-By-the-River Church, Rumson The Reverend Kije Mugisha Rwamasirabo called as Curate, effective July 1, 2019.
- Church of St. John the Evangelist, Chews Landing The Reverend Canon Richard C. Wrede called as Priest-in-Charge, effective August 1, 2019.
- *St. Peter’s Church, Medford The Reverend Canon Valerie Balling called as Priest-in-Charge, effective August 1, 2019.
- *Holy Innocents’ Church, Beach Haven The Rev. Dr. Caroline Carson, Deacon called to be Rector, upon her ordination to the Priesthood, on June 27, 2019.
No Longer Receiving Names for Rector:
- St. Andrew’s Church, Mount Holly Discernment Committee reviewing candidate materials.
No Longer Receiving Names for Priest-in Charge:
- St. John’s on the Mountain, Bernardsville Discernment Committee reviewing candidate materials.
Church of the Holy Spirit, Tuckerton Call of Interim pending Letter of Agreement.
Receiving Names for Rector:
*Grace Church, Merchantville Seeking a Rector. Online materials re-posted with a new deadline of July 7, 2019.
Receiving Names for Priest-in Charge:
Receiving Names for Interim:
- St. David’s, Cranbury Vestry reviewing candidate materials.
Not Yet Receiving Names for Rector/Priest-in-Charge:
Christ Church, Toms River Town Hall held on September 26. Discernment Committee formed. Orientation of Vestry and Discernment Committee completed on March 10. Congregational Conversation conducted March 31. Preparing online materials for posting.
Not Yet Receiving Names for Priest-in-Charge:
- *St. Stephen’s Church, Beverly and St. Stephen’s Church, Riverside Will be seeking a Priest-in-Charge. Town Hall meeting scheduled conducted on March 17. Readiness Assessment conducted April 12.
- Trinity Church, Matawan and Christ Church, South Amboy Church affiliation in process. Orientation of Discernment Committee and Vestries conducted March 31. Congregational Workshop conducted on May 19. Online resources being developed.
- St. James’ Church, Bradley Beach and St. Michael the Archangel, Wall Congregations using supply clergy. Affiliation in process. Orientation of Discernment Committee and Vestries, conducted on March 14. Congregational Workshop conducted on April 7. Online resources for posting being prepared.
- Trinity Church, Asbury Park Congregation using supply clergy. Discernment Committee formed. Congregational Workshop conducted on March 31. Online resources for posting being prepared.
- Grace Church, Pemberton Readiness assessment, Discernment Committee orientation, and Congregational Conversation conducted. Online materials in development.
- Church of the Good Shepherd, Rahway Will be seeking a half-time Priest-in-Charge. Discernment Committee formed. Orientation of Vestry and Discernment Committee held. Town Hall held on September 12 and Congregational Workshop to be scheduled.
- St. Mary’s Church, Stone Harbor Town Hall held on July 15. Discernment Committee formed. Orientations held. Congregational Conversation held on November 4. Materials for posting being developed.
Future Course in Ministry Under Discernment with Bishop’s Office:
- Church of the Good Shepherd, Berlin Congregation using supply clergy. Wardens and Vestry in consultation with Bishop’s office.
- St. Mary’s Church, Clementon Wardens and Vestry in consultation with Bishop’s office.
- Holy Family Church, Laurel Springs (website under construction): Effective January 21, 2018, Merger of Church of the Atonement, Laurel Springs and St. John’s in the Wilderness, Gibbsboro.
- St. James’ Church, Paulsboro Congregation using supply clergy.
- Trinity Church, Vincentown The Rev. Robert Legnani serving as extended supply