Join hosts Canon Clara Gregory Catherine Ambos, ECS-NJ, and her guest Simi Kaur, Nutrition Program Specialist, Summer Food Service Program of the NJ Department of Agriculture, as they discuss summer meals programs and how churches can get started feeding at-risk children.
Important child nutrition legislation was passed recently, and, as a result, you can make sure no child in your area goes hungry while school is out. The New Jersey Legislature’s authorization of the Summer Meals Program for children permits grab-and-go meals. This means a site such as a church can provide meals to children even if they are not running a Vacation Bible School or other organized summer programs for children. The deadline to apply to host a Summer Meals Program site is extended to July 31, so you still have time to apply.
In her introductory remarks not included in the recording, Canon Gregory said:
“We are members of the Episcopal Community Services, where we serve on the advocacy team. For those who are not familiar with ECS, it’s a diocesan initiative that focus on proactively addressing human needs, and relentlessly working against both social and racial injustice.
We network and make connections:
- We advocate for change
- We raise funds across the diocese; and,
- We give grants where most needed,
Our work today is to learn more about the Summer Program and how we may address human needs.
Let us Pray:
Thank you, Father, for this gathering to hear and learn about the summer meals program for children throughout NJ. Let us as disciples place these children and their families in your arms and bless them…for the kingdom of GOD belongs to such as these.
- Summer Food Service Program web site (the website has a link of all summer food service program sponsors and sites)
- Summer Meals Program Overview
- Cómo participar en Comidas de Verano
- Do’s and Don’ts For Site Supervisors
- USDA Summer Meals Site Finder map
- Text 914-342-7744 or call 1-866-348-6479 to find meals
- Call 609-292-4498 to speak to a program specialist