On Sunday, April 30 at 3:00 PM, held at Trinity Princeton (http://www.trinityprinceton.org/ ), The Diocese of New Jersey will feature a special guest speaker representing The United Church of Pakistan, one of our Anglican partners. Mrs. Alice Garrick, Director of The Women’s desk and Service Society, is a long-time United Nations representative in the Commission on the Status of Women. She is also a long-time member of the International Anglican Women’s Network (IAWN.) Alice is hosted by The Very Rev. Dr. Caroline Carson, Rector of Holy Innocents’ in Beach Haven, who recently returned from working with The Church of Pakistan (CoP) in strengthening relationships, exploring teaching initiatives, participating in liturgies, and connecting dots between CoP and areas of The Episcopal Church.
Mrs. Alice Garrick, as Executive Director, Women’s Development and Service Society, Diocese of Raiwind, Church of Pakistan, will present on four specific emphases from her 27 years of work with the Women’s Development and Service Society:
1. Human Rights: The Church of Pakistan’s efforts to prevent the forced conversion and marriage of young women and girls.
2. Blasphemy Laws and how the Church of Pakistan is trying to help victims,
3. Human Trafficking: The church’s effort to combat the selling of Hindu and Christian women and girls into prostitution.
4. Aid for Families (Feeding, clothing, and housing destitute women and children) and
5. Vocational Training (Helping women and girls to leave prostitution and earn a living in fields such as healthcare.)
Alice Garrick brings vision and passion to her ministry with Pakistani women through the Diocese of Raiwind in the Church of Pakistan. After secondary school in Lahore, she earned B.A. and M.Sc. degrees at the University of Punjab, focusing in the field of psychology. She taught high school for several years before joining the Raiwind Diocese’s women’s desk. She has participated in trainings in India and South Africa and has represented the Church of Pakistan at ten annual meetings of the UN Commission on the Status of Women.
Come and learn about these current issues which this church and many in the Middle East are facing. Discuss human rights and women’s rights. Join in prayer for our partners and explore ways you or your church can learn more!
For more information, please email Caroline Carson
DATE – Sunday, May 1
TIME – 3:00 PM, followed by Compline at Trinity at 5:00 PM
LOCATION – Trinity Church at Princeton, 33 Mercer Street, Princeton, New Jersey, 08540
COST – FREE!