St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Spotswood, NJ
505 Main St, Spotswood NJ 08882
Position Description—Music Ministry Leader
St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Spotswood is seeking a new music ministry leader. This person will be organist, choir director and worship leader in support of our liturgical and pastoral leadership as we gather in praise of God on Sundays and during the Feasts and Fasts of the life of the Church. We seek a person who will join this vibrant community of service that will lead, teach, and inspire our community in singing praise to God.
The sanctuary of St. Peter’s is an historic carpenter gothic design that possesses warm and generous acoustics for spoken voice and musical performance.
It possesses two instruments at present:
- A Johannus Rembrandt 497 SE digital organ (with gallery speakers)
- A Kimball Semi-Concert grand piano.
The Church community also enjoys other instrumental and vocal performance during services, granting a wider palate for performance than may be found in most churches.
The community of St. Peter’s draws from across several townships, communities and demographics. Our diversity is growing, and our hope is that the successful candidate will continue to support our desire to open our doors to all with awareness that diversity brings transformation and change to all. We are a community of all ages, and welcome households of all construct and form. Our diversity is an ongoing, conscious, and faithful discernment and all Church staff commit to that vision.
- Bachelor of Music with a concentration in organ (and keyboard, preferred) performance, or similar degree with equivalent experience
- Thorough knowledge of sacred music, particularly that of the Episcopal (Anglican) tradition
- High level of musicianship and proficiency
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent organization and communication skills
- Experience in vocal coaching for both adult and youth choirs
- Ability to work with singers of all ages and ability
- Desire to help teach a community to find joy in singing God’s praises
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Planning, preparing and performing music for weekly services year-round at 8 AM and 10 AM (9 AM during summer months)
- Ash Wednesday, Holy Week and Christmas services
- Other services as negotiated and planned with Rector
- Dynamic recruitment of choir members–organize and rehearse adult and youth choir groups, including additional rehearsal time, as needed, for seasonal services
- Assist in creating and curating a music library in the church
- Adhere to copyright laws
- Play incidental services (weddings, funerals and community liturgies) as they arise. Bench fee base is $250, more if rehearsal or accompaniment practice is required
- In consultation with Rector, coordinate Sunday music selections on quarterly schedule, arrange substitutes, etc.
- Oversee and maintain maintenance and care of musical instruments
- Commitment to background check, Diocesan Safe Church, and Anti-Racism training (expenses assumed by St. Peter’s)
Salary and Other Details
This is a part-time position, estimated to be 10-15 hours a week. Hours include two to three hours on Sunday for rehearsal, warm up and performance in liturgies. Adult and youth choir group rehearsals to be arranged will include personal practice and administrative time. Salary is competitive for the area with no medical benefits. Staff may choose to participate in the Episcopal Church’s lay retirement program (403b) Four weeks of paid vacation are included, dates to be determined in consultation with the Rector. Continuing education may be negotiated as time allows.
If chosen to interview, the candidate will audition on our organ, and will be allowed up to 1 hour private practice before audition. They will also lead an abbreviated choir rehearsal. Please send a resume and a brief statement of your approach to the vocation of Church Music, with any other material the Search Committee may consider by August 15th. Please place the words “organist search” in the subject line.