Position Description: Executive Assistant to the Bishop of New Jersey
The Executive Assistant to the Bishop of New Jersey is a core member of the administration team for the Diocese of New Jersey. They provide full-time executive level support for the Bishop of New Jersey and the Office of the Bishop.
- Communications support: respond to calls, emails and correspondence on behalf of the bishop. Prepare correspondence and process mail
- Calendar support: maintain the bishop’s calendar, including preparation and formal notification for Episcopal visitations, scheduling of appointments and confirmation of committee meetings
- Record-keeping: maintain records of acts and ensure that canonical requirements for recording are met
- Participate in weekly oversight meetings (executive team staff review) and other staff meetings. Schedule meetings for the bishop
- In consultation with the bishop, schedule and support liturgies including (but not limited to) preparation of Letters and Certificates, correspondence regarding participation, and follow-up with clergy and congregations
- Serve as the recorder of ordinations for the diocese, prepare Letters Dimissory and licenses (clergy and lay), and collaborate with other staff to prepare and maintain clergy records for the diocese and for the Episcopal Church
- Administer background checks as requested by the bishop, Canon to the Ordinary, and other staff, maintaining the highest level of discretion and confidentiality at all times
- Maintain the bishop’s office files, ensuring canonical and archival requirements are met
- Interact extensively with clergy and lay leaders of our 135 congregations in performing the duties outlined herein, responding to requests and questions
- Support the work of the Standing Committee, Diocesan Council, and other groups with meeting agendas, materials, and testimonials
- As needed, edit minutes, reports, and documents
- Prepare reports as needed for the bishop, key committees, staff, and Diocesan Convention
- Serve as Assistant Secretary of Convention
- Participate in annual BEST (Bishops’ Executive Secretaries Together) conference
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, 3+ years’ experience providing executive-level support required
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, including the ability to edit and revise materials in ways that maintain the voice of the original author
- High comfort level with evolving technology
- The ability to handle confidential information with discretion and grace
- Familiarity with the Episcopal Church and comfort working in a church environment
- Strong organizational skills including the ability to prioritize work, multi-task, and meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skill and experience interacting with clergy, lay leaders, and the general public
- A desire to work collaboratively and be part of a team
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat and social media
Compensation, Benefits and Working Conditions:
- This position is offered at $65,000 to $70,000 commensurate with experience
- 100% Employer-paid health insurance
- Employer-paid pension contributions to a defined contribution plan
- Two weeks paid vacation, paid national holidays and other paid time off
- This position is considered exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act and the NJ Wage and Hour Law.
- Some evening and weekend work may occasionally be required, with reasonable notice
- Some flexibility as to working hours within the context of a normal work week is both expected and offered, in consultation with the bishop to ensure appropriate coordination of work flow.
- This positon oﬀers some opportunity to work at home, in consultaton with the bishop to ensure appropriate coordinaton of work ﬂow.
The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check and to participate in Safe Church and anti-racism training through the Episcopal Diocese of New Jersey.
This position reports directly to the bishop and is part of the Administration team.
Please submit cover letter, resumé and references to Canon Phyllis Jones either by email or regular mail to Diocese of NJ; 808 West State Street; Trenton, NJ 08618 by May 19, 2023.,