Episcopal Community Services of Philadelphia Chaplain (Part-time)
The Chaplain is the key connector linking ECS to the Diocese of Pennsylvania and to the 134 parishes within the diocese. Takes the mission and message of ECS out into the wider community, with special focus on the justice and equity work of our Inclusion & Advocacy department. Works closely with the Advocacy and Advancement/Communications teams, while cultivating strong relationships with all departments and leaders across the agency. Provides a spiritual and pastoral presence for ECS staff. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Chaplain is an active member of ECS’ leadership team and works with peers to continually strengthen the work of ECS in its entirety.
Diocesan and Parish Relationships
- Guided by “Called to Sacred Encounters in Communion: A Covenant between the Diocese of Pennsylvania and Episcopal Community Services,” continue to cultivate strong working relationships with the Bishop and diocesan staff.
- Nurture existing relationships with parishes and create new ones; work with deaneries where there is energy for shared mission between congregations.
- Be in churches to share the ECS story, on average, twice a month.
- Develop interfaith participation in ECS’ mission, reaching out to houses of worship from all denominations and faith groups, especially those in the neighborhood of St. Barnabas Community Resource Center.
- Gather the clergy on the Board of Trustees; mine their wisdom and experience and help amplify their voices in support of ECS’ work in parishes.
Advocacy and Justice Ministry
- Work closely and collaboratively with the Asst. Director of Inclusion & Advocacy, Ken Anderson, to disseminate the policy statements and calls-to-action of ECS’ Advocacy department.
- Share speaking and presentation work in parishes, deaneries and other organizations with Ken Anderson.
- Continue the work of the Advocacy Action Network, developing further relationships with congregations, both Episcopal and non-Episcopal, who seek to live the Gospel by advocating for justice and equity.
- Develop partnerships with parishes, diocesan outreach and justice groups, and faith-based organizations in the Philadelphia region.
- Know and support the staff and mission of the St Barnabas Community Resource Center, and work with the Community Engagement Specialist there to engage and serve that neighborhood.
Leadership and Organizational Structure
- Report to the Executive Director
- Serve on the Executive Team
- Partner with Ken Anderson, and with the Inclusion & Advocacy department
- Join the Advancement/Communications team
Qualifications and Skills
- Priest or Deacon in the Episcopal Church
- Knowledge of the Diocese and the Philadelphia region
- Experience in outreach and social justice ministry, particularly in urban settings
- Strong relationship-building skills, effective writing, speaking and presentation skills
- Interest and desire to travel throughout the diocese, occasionally on evenings and weekends
- Cultural competency to work inclusively with different groups and communities
- Aptitude and passion for interfaith work
- Experience collaborating on a diverse and dynamic team
- Ability to be pastorally present to ECS staff of every religious affiliation and none
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to ECS’ mission
For more information or to apply,visit the application site.