The Episcopal Diocese of New Jersey is comprised of 136 congregations in the southern 2/3 of the state of New Jersey. Both the state and the diocese are diverse, with a number of multicultural ministries and congregations, in a variety of urban, suburban and rural settings. The diocese includes congregations in commuter towns for both Philadelphia and New York City, as well as rural farming communities, the Jersey Shore, Princeton University, and more. While some congregations face challenges, others are growing. We are seeking a Canon for Congregations to support the work of the Bishop and people of the Diocese of New Jersey.
The Canon for Congregations is a key member of the missional leadership staff team. The Canon has responsibility for work to support congregational vitality and respond to the needs of clergy and lay leaders across the Diocese of New Jersey. Working with the Canons for multicultural ministries and formation, equips leaders and congregations with resources and support to address missional challenges and enhance vitality in all areas of congregational life.
- Provides support to congregations, clergy, and lay leaders in response to diverse needs, concerns, and opportunities
- Serves as a bridge between congregations and the wider diocese, representing the Bishop and staff on the ground level, and connecting congregations, leaders, and ministries to equip God’s people for effective mission and ministry
- Provides resources to assist in addressing conflict, strategic planning, ongoing discernment of mission, sacramental and liturgical support, and related tasks.
- Offers ground-level congregational support as part of the wider staff team, and works to address both spiritual and ministry needs in partnership with clergy and lay leaders
- A priest in good standing, eligible to work in The Episcopal Church and in New Jersey
- 7+ years ordained ministry experience in a variety of church settings
- Demonstrated capacity for leadership, together with gifts for connection and facilitation
- Clarity of vocation and purpose, an established prayer life, and the ability to experience and share joy and hope in ministry
- The ability to leverage spiritual gifts in the service of God’s mission and to equip both individuals and communities to do the same
- Comfort with, and preference for, a diverse and dynamic environment where differences are valued as strengths and collaboration is prioritized
- Language ability in Spanish, French, or Haitian Creole is desirable but not required
Compensation: $90,000 includes stipend/housing, plus benefits (pension, insurance, SECA, etc.)
To apply, please send your resume, OTM, and a cover letter addressed to the Rt. Rev. Sally French, Bishop of New Jersey, to Ms. Mirelle White, Executive Assistant to the Bishop of New Jersey, firstname.lastname@example.org