Resources for AdventIt’s not the “Christmas Season” until, well, Christmas. Advent is the season of preparation, when we as a church and as Christ’s people prepare for the coming of the Messiah. It is a time of family devotion and prayer. The Diocese of New Jersey has put together a number of resources to help you in your devotions this Advent. Our Lifelong Christian Formation team has prepared a series of videos to help you get started. We also provide a number of links to online Advent resources.
Part 1: Starting a New Family TraditionBarbara Briggs offers some advice on how to help your family develop home worship traditions for Advent.
Part 2: Creating a Home Worship SpaceBarbara shows you how to use simple items to create an Advent worship space in your own home
Part 3: Coloring ResourcesAnne Delgado and Jane Gober share some ideas for using art projects to enhance your Advent practices.
Links in this video
- Illustrated Childrens Ministry: Art resources to enhance devotion practices at Advent and the rest of the year
- A Sanctified Art: Devotional coloring resources designed specifically for adults
Part 4: DevotionsAnne and Jane talk about devotion practices to try during Advent. Links in this video
- Book of Common Prayer Daily Devotions: Devotion practices to be followed by individuals, families, or groups
- #AdventWord: A global, interactive social media calendar
- Being Christian: Bible, Baptism, Eucharist, and Prayer by Rowan Williams: In this simple, beautifully written book Rowan Williams explores four essential components of the Christian life: baptism, Bible, Eucharist, and prayer.
Part 5: Wreaths without CandlesJane explores using household objects to foster a sense of light and enlightenment without using candles, creating easily portable “Advent wreaths.”
Part 6: Advent CalendarsAdvent calendars are probably the most familiar form of Advent devotion. Jane and Anne focus on using calendars to stay faith focused.
Advent Resource Links
- Facebook Profile Frame for Advent: Show your friends and family that you’re focused on Advent this year, with this Diocese of New Jersey Advent 2018 frame for your Facebook profile picture.
- Color your own nativity scene
- Advent Way of Love: For the season of Advent, Journeying the Way of Love offers four sessions to be explored as we await the coming of Christ by moving through the first two chapters of the Gospel of Luke. Luke’s gospel provides a pattern for understanding how we can live the Way of Love as individuals, as families and friends, as a community, and out in the world. The sessions are specially designed for use during the Christian formation hour before or after worship. Facilitation instructions accommodate small or large groups.
- Way of Love Advent Calendar: Offers daily Advent suggestions for engaging in the seven practices that encompass the Way of Love: Turn, Learn, Pray, Worship, Bless, Go, and Rest. Calendario De Adviento Recorriendo El Camino Del Amor: Versión en Español
- Society of Saint John Advent Calendar on Pinterest
- Advent Bulletin Inserts: (English) Inserts parishes can include in their bulletins that will help congregations direct their Advent devotions
- Adviento – Encartes para Boletines: (Español) Inserta parroquias pueden incluir en sus boletines que ayudarán a las congregaciones a dirigir sus devociones de Adviento
- Preparing to be a Beloved Community: An Advent devotion guide from the Episcopal Church
- Episcopal Relief & Development Advent Activities Guide:Advent is a great time to engage your children, youth and parishes in the work of Episcopal Relief & Development. Here are some fun and creative ideas to help you join in the fight against malaria or use the tool kit resource items to enhance ideas of your own!