- This event has passed.
ALPHA Comes to Gladstone in January 2020
January 5 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
An event every week that begins at 6:30 pm on Sunday, repeating until March 29, 2020
St. Luke’s Church in Gladstone is offering a series of gatherings this winter for the community that will feature the Alpha Program with dinner included. The Alpha series combines friendly discussion in a safe environment to discuss and raise questions, with a thought-provoking, often humorous video presentation on the Christian faith and great food which will be provided by restaurants in and around the Peapack Gladstone community. Two other nearby churches will be running Alpha concurrently: St. Mark’s in Basking Ridge and Church of the Holy Spirit in Lebanon.
Last year approximately 30,000 churches and organizations ran Alpha courses worldwide with more than 1.3 million participants. Now Alpha comes to St Luke’s Gladstone beginning January 5th, 2020, 6:30-8:30pm.
The Rev. Dr. Kent Walley, Rector at St. Luke’s Gladstone said recently about Alpha: “People come on the Alpha course for many different reasons. Some want to investigate whether God exists and some have questions they’d like to discuss. Others coming seeking to renew and revive their faith. Many guests have never been to church, and others may have attended church but feel they still have doubts and questions. This is a great opportunity to openly discuss the things you’ve always wondered about the Christian faith but never resolved. Everyone is welcome, your entire family, friends and our neighbors in the community.”
What is Alpha? Alpha is a series of sessions exploring the basics of the Christian faith, run each Sunday evening for a period of 12 weeks. Key topics include, Is there more to life than this? Who is Jesus? How can I have faith?
What does an Alpha Session look like? Each Alpha session at St Luke’s has three elements:
- Food: A delicious meal provided on a complimentary basis by excellent local restaurants and culinary establishments. Eating food together creates space for people to connect, relax and share life on a deeper level.
- An Inspiring Short Movie: The Alpha Movies are designed to engage people from all walks of life and inspire conversation. They explore big issues of living today and unpack the basics of Christian belief addressing questions like ‘Why and how do I pray?’ and ‘How does God guide us?’
- Discussion: The discussion time is an opportunity for people to respond to questions raised in the movie, hear from others, and contribute their own perspective in an honest, friendly, and open, non-judgmental environment.
Alpha can be previewed on-line at https//www.alphafilmseries.promo
To connect with the Alpha team email firstname.lastname@example.org or text Julie for more information on 9086983007.
Alpha has been acknowledged by many media outlets:
‘…many claim Alpha has changed their lives and appear genuinely happier for the experience.’– Time Magazine
“Alpha is an unqualified triumph.”– The Daily Telegraph, London
“A novel approach to Christian education that has been catching on nationwide.”– The New York Times
“Alpha was the best thing I ever did. It helped answer some huge questions and to find a simple empowering faith in my life.”
– Bear Grylls, TV Adventurer
“The Alpha format is definitely a huge improvement and right for our time, because process is involved instead of a quick presentation and it is more communal.”
– Tim Keller, Author & Senior Pastor, Redeemer Presbyterian Church
“To me, Alpha is an expression of the work of the Holy Spirit… It’s accessible, it’s easy, and it’s user-friendly. It’s extraordinary. It’s leading people into a personal relationship with Jesus and building a community that engages with the world and changes it for the better.”
– Justin Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury