The Diocese of New Jersey is currently accepting applications for the position of Director of Communications.
The Diocesan Youth Convener is a part-time staff position in The Diocese of New Jersey whose primary responsibility is to convene the Youth Council of the Diocese and to facilitate them in their work of:
- coordinating local, regional, and convocational youth ministry
- coordinating participation of diocesan youth in diocesan and Episcopal Church youth events
- raising up young Christian leaders formed in the Episcopal tradition
- encouraging innovative, relational, and relevant ways for diocesan youth to explore what God is up to in their communities and how they can join in as followers of Jesus Christ.
- Convene the Youth Council of the Diocese of New Jersey and oversee their work in coordinating and carrying out youth ministries across the diocese.
- Form a team to establish and maintain highest protocols and standards for safety for diocesan, convocational, and regional youth events.
- Assist the Youth Council in building and maintaining a strong network of contacts among those involved with youth ministry at local, regional, and convocational levels.
- Assist the Youth Council in soliciting, managing, and evaluating applications for diocesan grants.
- Work with the Bishop and Bishop’s staff in continuing youth participation in Diocese of New Jersey and Episcopal Church youth events such as The Episcopal Youth Event (E.Y.E – held every three years), Happening, Spring and Fall Youth Events, Youth Presence at General Convention, youth participation in Diocesan Convention, Baccalaureate Mass, etc.
- Communicate/Coordinate with the Deans of Convocations and/or regional youth leaders about locally sponsored youth events so that the wider diocesan community is made aware of all that is happening for youth in the diocese.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Convene monthly meetings of Youth Council.
- Maintain a roster of active youth and adult members of Youth Council.
- Form members of Youth Council into “Task Teams” to plan and execute the diocesan and Episcopal Church events in which Diocese of New Jersey youth regularly participate.
- Regular meetings/consultation with the bishop and staff canons to assure the complete integration of youth ministry in the life of the diocese.
- Facilitate communications with the diocesan Communications Officer about youth mission, ministry, activities and events.
- Assure that all adults working with youth have completed Safe Church training.
- Assure that Safe Church policies and procedures are implemented for all diocesan youth events, and for diocesan youth participation in any Episcopal Church or other non-diocesan youth event.
- Mature, responsible adult lay or clergy person.
- Must have completed Safe Church Training and be retrained every five years.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and demonstrated personal initiative.
- Lives out of a strong sense of Christian discipleship with a demonstrated commitment to Christian formation of youth.
- Proven ability to work collegially and coordinate diverse groups and teams in the context of the diversity that exists within our Diocese.
- Familiarity with the Episcopal Church and its organization/structures.
- Excellent verbal, written, and communication skills; knowledge of Spanish desirable.
- Commitment to and understanding of the work of anti-racism and willingness to receive ongoing training in anti-racism.
- Will be required to have a valid driver’s license and to undergo a thorough background check.
$15,000 annually plus expenses
Submit a cover letter and resume to:
The Right Reverend William H. Stokes, Bishop of New Jersey
The Diocese of New Jersey
808 West State St., Trenton, NJ 08618
The Episcopal Diocese of New Jersey is an equal opportunity employer.