What does JUBILEE MINISTRY call us to do?
WORKS of CHARITY and JUSTICE.
|The Ministry of Jubilee: “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.” (Luke 4:18-19)|
JUBILEE MINISTRIES AND THE MARKS OF MISSION
- Food distribution (food pantries/feeding programs)
- Affordable Quality Childcare/Education (summer camps/after school programs)
- Transitional Housing – Partnerships with Family Promise
- Partnership with the Lutheran Episcopal Advocacy Ministry of NJ (LEAMNJ)
- Advocacy trainings
- Community Gardens
St. George’s By-the-River – Rumson
What a joy it is to welcome you to our parish! It is my prayer that you will find St. George’s to be a place of hospitality, of spiritual growth, and especially of God’s presence.”
The Rev. Ophelia G. Laughlin
Wherever you are on your life’s journey, St. George’s by the River welcomes you to be a part of our family as we endeavor to seek, share, and serve:
SEEK God and God’s will for our lives. SHARE our faith, knowledge, and gifts. SERVE God, one another, and the world.
St. George’s by-the-River was Designated and Affirmed a Jubilee Ministry Center* by both the Episcopal Diocese of New Jersey and the Episcopal Church in June of 2004. Thirteen years later, The Rev. Ophelia G. Laughlin, parish leadership, and members of St. George’s Outreach Committee continue to provide volunteer hours and program grants to 30+ nonprofit organizations in Monmouth County, NJ. These agencies are in the following towns and cities in the Garden State: Aberdeen, Asbury Park, Eatontown, Hazlet, Keansburg, Keyport, Long Branch, Neptune, Oakhurst, Red Bank, Rumson, Tinton Falls and Wikatunk. A site visit is made to each agency that receives grants and their finances are carefully reviewed before a vote is taken by the Committee. Members of the Outreach Committee also ensure that services provided to those most in need are those most essential to social justice, e.g. nutritious food, quality childcare, education, healthcare, healthy environment and housing.
For additional information regarding the non-profit organizations that receive these program grants, St. George’s in-house ministry programs, and parish response to international poverty (Episcopal Relief and Development funds), please click the following link: http://stgeorgesrumson.org/content.cfm?id=386
St. George’s is also proud to have been instrumental in the founding of three community landmarks:
- Monmouth County Family Promise – An organization whose mission is to provide meals and overnight accommodations for temporarily homeless families for one week at a time. As one of 10 host churches, St. George’s accommodate guests for a week, four times a year, that includes sleeping arrangements, delicious meals with parish members on hand for homework help and fellowship.
A member of the Outreach Committee sits on the Board of Trustees.
- Lunch Break, Red Bank – A community soup kitchen serving hot meals that also provides a Client Choice Food Pantry, Clothing Boutique/Suited for Success Program, and a variety of supportive services. A member of the Outreach Committee sits on the Board of Trustees.
- HABcore, Red Bank – A not-for-profit corporation that plays a growing role in continuing care for the homeless in Monmouth County. A member of the Parish sits on the Board of Trustees.
St. George’s Pet Friendly monthly worship also celebrates her role as a steward of all of God’s creation through liturgy.
This monthly (September – May) church service welcomes pets of all shapes and sizes along with their owners. You may bring your dogs (leashed), cats, parrots, fish, turtles, hamsters or whichever pet you choose to church, rain or shine!
We applaud the work of St. George’s By-the River and all our Jubilee Centers.
Look for a different featured quarterly!
For more on our Jubilee Centers, click here.
For information on becoming a Jubilee Center, please contact Canon Clara Gregory, Diocesan Jubilee Officer.
Soles for the Harvest 5K, 1Mile Fun Run/Walk
November 4, 2017
Veterans Park, Hamilton, NJ
YOUR CHURCH DOES NOT HAVE TO BE A JUBILEE CENTER in order to participate in the Soles for Harvest 5K, 1 Mile Fun Run/Walk.
Jubilee Ministry* is faith in action.
It’s a way of loving God with all our heart, mind, soul and strength, by loving our neighbors as ourselves. Jubilee Ministry connects these two important dynamics of the spiritual journey, enabling God’s reconciling work to be seen through us.
In our diocese there are 30 Jubilee Centers. These ministries encompass an enormous range of initiatives, services, programs, and people, and provide aid and support to a diverse collection of communities.
A ministry of joint discipleship in Christ with poor and oppressed people, wherever they are found. To meet basic human need and to build a just society, is at the heart of the mission of the Church. Resolution A080 – 1982